Saturday, April 12, 2008

SUMMER CAMP!

As many of my close friends will attest to, each year I would run away to a magical land called Diabetic camp.....I know it sounds cheesy, campy even (sorry i couldnt resist) but camp is the GREATEST place on earth. I used to cry for DAYS when i would come home from camp as a kid. Its not just that you are away from your parents, but you are with people who totally get the whole diabetes things, plus it is FUN!

At 18 they kick you out as a camper, but fortunately for me and all other perpetual kids, you can always volunteer. The past few years I have been lucky enough to be program director...specifically in charge of FUN.....

I cant help when the snow starts melting to start thinking about camp fires, skits, and pranks...I needed to dedicate a blog to it, cuz all i can think about is karoake night, the annual camp-wide waterfight, and late nights playing poker with the camp docs.

****WARNING**** some of these pics are SCARY! At camp, make-up and sometimes showering kind of fall by the wayside....so be prepared, things may get ugly and may be inappropriate for children.

talia(my co-director) and My annual grape stuffing contest....i always lose....but i have been practicing so this is my year

karaoke night!

teaching Diabetics good skills (that is right, early morning yoga)

WATERFIGHT DAY!!!!! my absolute favorite especially the giant slip and slide

the camp sleeze (a dirty, messy relay race of sorts) yes, that is my real hair...took a couple of hours to get that back to normal

AHH camp songs

talia and i leading a song or two
The kids (cute little brats)...the reason we give upa week of work and any sort of sleep.....but we sure have fun doing it

And of course I have to give a schpeel about volunteering...if you have any talents (yoga, cheerleading, dancing, mt biking, ANYTHING) you feel you could contribute and would like to come to camp for a day....or the whole week visit this site and fill out an application:
http://fcyd_inc.org

3 comments:

Lyndsi said...

YAY for diabetic camp!!! I'm so glad you still do it. Sounds like fun and wish I were a camper there :) except for the diabetic thing...

Crystal said...

So fun! Love the chaco's in every pic! :) Um...is that Jake doing the camp song with you? Looks just like him.

Robyn said...

yes....that is jake....i usually embarrass all friends and family when they come to camp....by making them sing on stage