Friday, February 8, 2008

Book Review


So i just realized how much I LOVE throwing my opinions at people. The nice thing about the blog is, you can take them or leave them. I feel for my poor co-workers who have to hear me rant daily. So i am going to start reviewing the books that appear on the side bar of my lowly blog......and if you are a bookie like I am, then you will appreciate it. If not, skip it and go to a blog with more pictures on it!


this review you get a good book and a not so good book(or more like a book i wasted hours of my life reading).


Good book:



Many of you know this book as a play, or THE play of the moment. I have not seen the play, but may I say the book is fabulous. I have a hard time believing the play is better (probably cuz i am a bookie and the book is almost ALWAYS better in bookie world) but i look forward to seeing if it is comparable. This book is dark, hilarious, sad and insightful. I related, pitied, rooted for and against the main character all in a matter of chapters. The author is no literary novice like most best sellers around nowadays, and actually uses beautiful prose and vocabulary. (unlike people who write literary crap a.k.a.-thrillers, da vinci code, anything by steven king....dont get me wrong, those are fun, but HELLO have you ever heard of allusion, alliteration, metaphors?)


It is an easy read as it flows nicely, but it is riddled with large words and long dialogue(nice to learn while you read for a change). The book does something that I rant about all the time....shows the other side of the story. We get so caught up in our "right" deeming that everyone else is "wrong". Wicked beats that theory into the ground. I believe that to be a very important theme especially in today's society and in light of our present state as a nation (sorry, couldnt get away from a political jab....)






Not so good book:


I am going to get a lot of protests to this I am sure, but thankfully, not many people read this blog so i may get very few protests, but hear me out on why i did not like this book.


First of all if you are writing a book that is supposedly about the power of one life and the amazing thing that one person can do, isnt it just a little bit more convincing if it is a true story??! because i am pretty sure i could write an amazing story about a guy that sprouted wings, flew around the world and saved all the poor people and that would just be incredibly inspirational and all....except that it never happened! The power of one is a fanciful story about a kid that could have existed and possibly could have done amazing things IF a million things fell right into place for him, but frankly, it is fictional and none of things ever happened.


Point two, relating to my first point. If you insist on writing a story that is fictional about someone overcoming the odds and rising above his enemies to become a better person, what worse way to end it by making him stoop to his enemy's level and instead of rising above revenge, reep it instead in a really pointless stupid way?? I mean HONESTLY, what is that teaching kids "kids, go out and become a better person than your bully so that one day you can beat him up in the school yard and carve your intials into his head." NICE....really nice, that is what I want my 13 year old boy to read into so that he can get into fights with all the kids at school. fantastic ending....really


and finally, if you are claiming that your book is about social inequality, you greatly dissapointed a lot of readers who were interested in social inequality in africa, because frankly....i dont even remember social inequality being a big theme, yet if you read the back of the book, apparently that is all this one is about. Maybe someone gutted my book, ripped out all the pages, and stuck in a different one in its place....


on a good note, it was a very easy read....and it made me want to go back to grade school and beat up my bully.....wait, no....let's just stick to easy read.

No comments: