Thursday, February 28, 2008

NO TV

So i dont have tv in my house.....(gasps, cries!) And i decided to post about it simply because people are SO funny when you tell them you don't watch tv.

The thing that really gets me is that people act like i am a better person for it. I promise you, throwing out my tv did not instantly improve my sinful tendencies....in fact, the only thing it really did was give me more time for reading, running, and homework. i am pretty sure hitler did not own a tv-with that said i think we can all conclude i am not an enlightened being for not having a tv.

the other really funny thing about no tv, is that SO much office gossip is about what was on tv. it is always a bit awkward when conversations go a little like this:
"hey robyn, did you watch american idol last night"
"nope, pamela, no tv remember"
"oh....yeah......well.......it was really good"
"really?"
"yeah there was this guy, and he sang this song and he looks a lot like my brother, but sounds more like my little sister...its like the high pitched whining....but in a good way, you know?"
"what song did he sing?"
"i dont remember....that one, that the older guy used to sing...uh you really just should have been there"
"ok, great"
awkward silence followed by something like this: "you are SO much better of a person than i am for not having a tv"

sometimes i think that having a tv would save me the time of having dumb conversations like this.

with that said, i do have a dvd player and i do love the office and scrubs.....so really i am not that much more righteous than the rest of you!

5 comments:

Lyndsi said...

haha.... no I'm still better than you with or without TV! :) I love you Rob... and I finally added you as a friend. I didn't know how until yesterday!

jamie lynette said...

Uh yeah I got no tv either. Well actually we have one (its huge-a whole 13 incher), but we cancelled cable last month because we actually never watched it so it was a waste of money.

But I totally hear ya those "no tv" or "I don't watch" conversations are SUPER akward. You're lucky that you get the "oh your better for that" comments I just get the weird silence, the totally disgusted look and the brisk walk away!

Robyn said...

ouch jamie-
that is flat out discrimination....maybe we should start an alliance for all non tv watchers who are discriminated against.....maybe it will help me get into med school, finally being a minority!

Crystal said...

Haha! Isn't it amazing how life still goes on without knowing all the gory details of American Idol?

Alicia said...

Rob it has been quite some time since I have sat down and read others blogs and yours was so fun to catch up on! So you!
first I must say you honey is handsome
second I too had no tv for the first 4 years of our marriage and the reactions were funny.
third you are a closet blogger...to funny!!